Páginas

Saturday 9 November 2013

Content Curation

As much as I love art, there was a time at which I couldn't set foot on another museum. The thing is, for our IB art exams at school, we had to visit as many museums as possible and it ended up being so boring. It's not that Buenos Aires has few museums, but the process was always the same. Visit the museum and then write/sketch about it in your sketchbook. As it usually happens with literature, school took all the fun out of museums for me.

It was only in 2011, while traveling around Europe and the US, that I set foot in a museum again. Wow! All those open galleries with marble sculptures created hundreds of years ago. So refreshing... all the light and the flow of the art pieces as one artist brought you to the next. I started appreciating then the work of curators. The process of selection, association, display... simply exquisite. 

And it was so interesting to find out that I could do the "same" (or I was already doing it, sort of) with all the online content that I used to just save to Evernote with absolutely no systematicity. 
I first tried Diigo. I found it useful. Quite similar to Evernote actually. I don't think it'll be replacing Evernote for me, as the elephant allows me to keep all my devices synchronized as well as allowing me to upload and sort different types of content; not just websites (voice notes, pictures, to-do lists). 

I was already using Pinterest for DIYs, clothes, hair-dos, motivational phrases, home design. I love it because it's so visually appealing. And it's so easy to access other people's boards. I'm not very active in it though; more the follower than the producer. 

And then I came across Pearltrees in Marisa Constantinides' From Curation to Creation, and it was a bit of both. It is like Diigo in the sense that you can select and classify websites, and it includes an add-in that allows you to do it directly from your browser, and it's like Pinterest in the sense that it looks so nice (yes, I am the kind of person who judges a book by its cover)!

Here's my pearltree. It's quite small now because I've only just "planted" it, but I'll try to water it often:


No comments:

Post a Comment