Páginas

Friday 25 October 2013

SAMR Model


The idea of the Substitution Augmentation Modification Redefinition Model is that one reflects on how computer technology affects teaching and learning.

We should first check whether using technology is the right choice, and then start building on the model, so that we stop using tech that is not functional to teaching or learning, and start using technology not as an end but as a support for student-centered learning.

I found the model very interesting. On the Technology is Learning site there are lots of examples of technology being used in a Redefining way. I teach history to 15 year-olds, so I immediately skipped to the Social Sciences experiences to see what teachers around the world had done. One such case was a pseudo Facebook profile students had to create about an individual in history. Although the technology used prevented the profiles from looking legit, I think this is a very good way of appealing to students that age. If the individuals they can create profiles for are pre-selected by the teacher, students can even end up creating a web of profiles linked through the "Friends in common" section Facebook offers. It might be a good way for students to get into those people's shoes, and try to understand the reasons why the acted in a certain way and their reactions to different events.

The other interesting thing I found on the Technology is Learning site was an article on "Flipped Classrooms." I had come across this 'ideology' while doing research for my methods class, and it really got me thinking. Here's a slide show that explains it really well:

4 comments:

  1. Really interesting this idea of Flipped Classroom, last week some of my Methods II classmates delivered a presentation and the notion of Flipped Classroom was mentioned. Even tough I liked this idea and got me thinking about it, I wonder whether I can be put into practice. You know, I did my practicum this year and I had planned a class in which students would be watching some videos. Since I had noticed tha they never brought their netbooks, I started to ask them, well in advance, to bring their netbooks. The day I had to deliver that class, they didn't bring their netbooks, as usual. Luckily, I had a plan B, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to give that lesson. My question is : is it possible to apply this model in a context in which students don't even bother to bring their computers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... however, for what I have understood, the idea is not that the students should bring computers to the classroom but rather that they should watch videolessons at home and come to the classroom where they should focus on the practice; so what is done in class in a normal classroom would be done at home before coming to the lesson, so that students that need more time can watch the video more than once, and then what is usually sent as homework, would be done in the class so that the teacher can help the students who are having trouble and set new goals for those who are finding it easy.

      Delete
  2. Really interesting! I totally agree with what you say in the second paragraph, and I feel identified: I sometimes try to use technology in class and then I realize that technology was the ends. That I could have perfectly done the same without technology, and perhaps it could have been better. What is really difficult for me is understanding when technology would really be a means to learn the language.

    You say you teach history. Here is a website you might find useful: http://www.the-map-as-history.com/
    It's got animated maps. I finally understood the Congress of Vienna (British History II) thanks to this website! Unfortunately, you have to pay if you want to view ALL the maps, but some are available without paying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lau, thanks for the tip. The map about the Congress of Vienna is really clear. I'll tell my students to watch it. It's a pity the subscription is so expensive though! Those about the German unification and WWI would have come really handy. Too bad. I'll just have to create my own :(

      Delete